Weekly Poll

Wednesday, August 22, 2007

A trail of crumbs

This blog is mostly for my friends and associates so I can facilitate awareness of bits of news that we think are noteworthy. I might post links to news reports, interviews or commentary that I have (or someone I know and trust has) found to be worth reading or watching.

The motivation for this is my belief that, generally speaking, the mass media, in their efforts to attract and maintain ratings, have compromised their mission to inform their audiences in other than superficial ways. In various outlets, one can still find pockets of diligent, probing journalism that investigates the deeper layers of a story but these seem to be the exceptional cases. As someone who invests 2-5 hours per day, 4-6 days a week digesting news, I hope that I can help shine a light on items (via this blog) that seem to deserve our attention.

Finally, why did I call this "News Crumbs"? In my mind I had the mental picture of a news story expressed as a forest of information and disinformation. Our news reports and analyses are often colored with spin and imprecise reporting. However, if one listens to enough voices, it is sometimes possible to discern an underlying and valuable thread that may not be immediately obvious. Metaphorically, I thought of a thread like this as a trail of bread crumbs through this forest and thus the name "News Crumbs" was born.

As of this writing, I also intend to make this blog available via FeedBlitz.

C. Scott

No comments:

Recommended Books

  • Unspun: Finding Facts in a World of Disinformation by Brooks Jackson and Kathleen Hall Jamieson
  • God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything by Christopher Hitchens
  • Misquoting Jesus: The Story Behind Who Changed the Bible and Why by Bart D. Ehrman
  • The World Is Flat: A Brief History of the Twenty-first Century by Thomas L. Friedman
  • Don't Know Much About History: Everything You Need to Know About American History but Never Learned by Kenneth C. Davis
  • Eyewitness to PowerThe Essence of Leadership Nixon to Clinton by David Gergen
  • Cod by Mark Kurlansky
  • Eyewitness to PowerThe Essence of Leadership Nixon to Clinton by David Gergen